Africans Rising is a Pan-African movement of people and organisations working for justice, peace
and dignity. We are determined to foster an Africa-wide solidarity and unity of purpose of the peoples
of Africa to build the future we want, which includes a right to peace, social inclusion and shared prosperity for all Africans and African descendants.
Our movement works to amplify and connect the demands, struggles and opportunities for solidarity on issues of social, economic, environmental and gender justice. We do this with the support of movements, people, civil society organizations, governments, artists, businesses, and anyone who shares our vision, outlined in the Kilimanjaro Declaration, which is one of a decentralised, citizen-owned future that builds support and solidarity for social movements beyond borders.
Monthly salary: $2500 – 3000 USD per month plus competitive benefits
Remote | Home | Virtual
Africans Rising is a nascent movement and as such, we require a minimum one-year commitment period.
Applications close on 7th October 17:00 GMT
Key deliverables ( ToR):
- Support the recruitment, management, engagement and retention of all corporate, foundation and high-net-worth givers/supporters and grants, as well as individual givers, while ensuring that they are kept informed and updated on how their grants are used at AR to avoid impeachable offences and compliance issues.
- Support the development of a creative, engaging, smooth and regular giving supporter journey, including conducting supporter surveys and post-campaign analyses when required.
- Work on the preparation, development and expansion of pipelines for different prospects including foundations, philanthropists, and high-net-worth givers using new concepts, traditional grant applications, letters of interest to potential donors and grant makers, etc., as well as tracking and following-up on these partnerships.
- Co-create and maintain an up-to-date fundraising database of corporate donors, foundations, philanthropists and high-net-worth givers/supporters, as well as individual givers to ensure easy communications as well as storage, management, tracking, monitoring, and archiving of donor information for the smooth internal operations of the resource mobilization unit. The database or software package applied enables target setting, running and managing fundraising campaigns and reporting mechanisms.
- Assist in the co-creation of a volunteers programme to enlist and expand membership of Africans Rising at national, regional and international levels to be harnessed for homegrown funding opportunities.
- Support the rolling out of a sustainability strategy for the Movement.
- Work on the development of mechanisms with partners to increase grant inflows of Africans Rising funds from supporters/givers and donors across the globe, and ensure all internal and external compliance requirements are maintained, improved and exceeded.
- Coordinate and support the development of grant proposals and report to supporters/givers and donors of Africans Rising on regular bases when required.
- Co-create, plan and implement the different giving models across the continent and diaspora.
- Take on any other responsibilities delegated by the Resource Mobilisation Lead and Movement Coordinators.
Qualifications & Attributes
You should have a primary qualification or first degree in social science, political science, international relations, journalism, communications or any other relevant field. While the usual tertiary qualifications and some demonstrable track record within the broad definition of civil society is desirable. The key attributes for the role include:
- A university degree in one of the aforementioned fields
- A deep personal resonance with the Kilimanjaro Declaration
- An abiding passion for the work of building a non-traditional Pan-African movement of the future
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively, flexibly and effectively in a small, dynamic team as well as a large diverse group
- Experience in direct marketing project management skills and techniques
- An Independent and creative thinker who is proactive and flexible and works well with agreed deadlines
- Excellent oral and written communication in English and at least one other widely used language on the continent, specifically: Arabic or French or Kiswahili or Portuguese
- It’s a given that you must have brilliant public speaking skills and be active on social media
- Proficiency in excel and a good understanding of database management, data manipulation and data selection to underpin financial decisions and supporter insight.
- Highly detail-oriented
- A demonstrable commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion and their practical application and integration in the work environment
- A commitment to Africans Rising’s mission and core values of promoting peace, dignity, justice and respect for human rights.
Prepare a cover letter (one page) detailing why you’re the ideal candidate for this challenging role.
A comprehensive CV, including at least three references plus a list of current social media profiles, including LinkedIn.
Mail the entire package to email@example.com with the subject line: Application: Resource Mobilisation Lead
We are building a lean, agile and robust movement and accordingly, you have the choice to work virtually from any location in the world; or you’re welcome to join current operational team members based in Nairobi, Banjul, Dakar, Accra, Arusha or Accra.
The ability to use PowerPoint, set-up calls on Zoom, Microsoft Teams and other conferencing tools as well as manage other communication mediums
The ability to be proactive and have an independent approach to delivering solutions
The ability to multitask effectively
The ability to travel (up to 30% of time), sometimes at short notice
Excellent verbal and written communication skills (particularly proposal writing and delivering presentations/ workshops)
The ability to quickly form constructive relationships and productive project teams.
Equal Opportunities Employer
Africans Rising is committed to diversity and equality of opportunity in all aspects of our work both external and internal. We strive to be an inclusive employer and particularly encourage applications from under-represented groups
Terms and Conditions
Please only apply if you have experience in the key deliverables and you possess the required Qualifications & Attributes.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, if you have not heard from us within three weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
We reserve the right to accept applications until the post is filled.
We reserve the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time or not make an appointment.
Please check your application and make sure you meet all the essential criteria listed above.