Africans Rising for Justice, Peace and Dignity (Africans Rising) is a Pan-African movement of people and organizations, working for justice, peace and dignity. We are determined to foster Pan-African solidarity and unity of purpose among the Peoples of Africa as we work together to build the future we want – a future that includes a right to peace, social inclusion and shared prosperity for all Africans everywhere.
Our vision, outlined in the Kilimanjaro Declaration, is that of a decentralised, citizen-owned future that will build support and solidarity for local struggles, local leadership and immerse activists in the grassroots work of building social movements from the ground up and beyond borders.
Monthly salary: $2,000 – $2,500 USD per month
Remote | Home | Virtual
Africans Rising is a nascent movement and as such, we require a minimum one-year commitment period.
Applications close on 7th October 17:00 GMT
Key deliverables ( ToR):
- Raise request for payments and maintain a proper filling system of payment vouchers
- Support the production of monthly and quarterly financial reports in an accurate and timely manner
- Help in the production of financial reports for all donor funded programmes/projects in a timely manner
- Ensure production and maintenance of asset register for the movement
- Maintain and update cash book, prepare monthly bank statements for all accounts of the Movement
- Prepare monthly payroll, and facilitate the payment of monthly PAYE and Withholding tax for staff and consultants
- Ensure timely preparation of imprest retirement schedules, keep a record of all unpaid balances and facilitate their recovery
- Prepare and post journal vouchers
- Support the production of a standard filing system for all key documents of the movement, staff, volunteers and consultants and ensure that they are updated
- Support the facilitation of AR team travels and logistical arrangements
- Carry out any other duties assigned by the Finance and Admin Lead and the movement
Qualifications & Attributes
You should have a primary qualification in accounting, business administration and management or any other relevant field. While the usual tertiary qualifications and some demonstrable track record within the broad definition of civil society is desirable, the key attributes for the role include:
- A university degree in accounting, ACCA level 2, AAT, BA in finance and admin and other social sciences related professional/academic studies with at least 2 years work experience in the field of accounting
- A deep personal resonance with the Kilimanjaro Declaration
- An abiding passion for the work of building a non-traditional Pan-African movement of the future
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively, flexibly and effectively in a small, dynamic team as well as the ability to function in a large diverse group
- A track record and professional experience of having worked in a human rights organisation at any level
- Excellent oral and written communication in English
- A demonstrable commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion and their practical application and integration in the work environment
- A commitment to Africans Rising’s mission and core values of promoting peace, dignity, justice and respect for human rights
- Prepare a cover letter (a one-pager) detailing why you’re the ideal candidate for the role.
- Attach a comprehensive CV, including two references.
- Mail the entire application package to: firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on the role contact AR via email@example.com latest by September 30.
We are building a lean, agile and robust movement and accordingly, you have the choice to work virtually from any location in the world; or you’re welcome to join current operational team members based in Nairobi, Banjul, Dakar, Accra, Arusha or Accra.
The ability to use PowerPoint, set-up calls on Zoom, Microsoft Teams and other conferencing tools as well as manage other communication mediums
The ability to be proactive and have an independent approach to delivering solutions
The ability to multitask effectively
The ability to travel (up to 30% of time), sometimes at short notice
Excellent verbal and written communication skills (particularly proposal writing and delivering presentations/ workshops)
The ability to quickly form constructive relationships and productive project teams
Equal Opportunities Employer
Africans Rising is committed to diversity and equality of opportunity in all aspects of our work both external and internal. We strive to be an inclusive employer and particularly encourage applications from under-represented groups
Terms and Conditions
Please only apply if you have experience in the key deliverables and you possess the required Qualifications & Attributes.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, if you have not heard from us within three weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
We reserve the right to accept applications until the post is filled.
We reserve the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time or not make an appointment.
Please check your application and make sure you meet all the essential criteria listed above, in addition your application will be stronger if you meet at least some of the desirable criteria.