Africans Rising is a Pan-African movement of people and organisations working for justice, peace and dignity. We are determined to foster an Africa-wide solidarity and unity of purpose of the peoples of Africa to build the future we want, which includes a right to peace, social inclusion and shared prosperity for all Africans and African descendants.
Our movement works to amplify and connect the demands, struggles and opportunities for solidarity on issues of social, economic, environmental and gender justice. We do this with the support of movements, people, civil society organizations, governments, artists, businesses, and anyone who shares our vision, outlined in the Kilimanjaro Declaration, which is one of a decentralised, citizen-owned future that builds support and solidarity for social movements beyond borders.
Community | Home | Virtual
Africans Rising is a nascent movement and as such, we require a minimum of one-year commitment period.
Monthly salary: $2,000 – $2,500 USD per month
Applications close on 7th October 17:00 GMT
Key deliverables ( ToR):
- Help the development of a comprehensive communications and media engagement strategy for Africans Rising, along with an execution plan and benchmarks.
- Assist the development of press/media releases, newsletters/mailers for actions and activities of Africans Rising and its members.
- Support the coordination of media engagement opportunities for Africans Rising’s leadership and members to raise the Movement’s public profile and promote the positions, programmes, campaigns and actions of Africans Rising and its members.
- Coordinate the writing of opinion pieces, articles, blogs, media strategies, campaigns and other content on the work and actions of Africans Rising and its members and have these placed in print media, on the African continent and globally.
- Support the development of a comprehensive database of media contacts across the continent and globally.
- Help the development of reports for the Movement and activities of members for learning and accountability purposes.
- Support the development of an up-to-date comprehensive database for members of the Movement.
- Ensure the facilitation of the outcome harvesting of the movement impact and work with teams, partners and members.
- Support the coordination of the establishment of volunteers program for communication, media and learning
- Supervise and manage volunteers under this unit.
- Support the Movement‘s fundraising processes and reporting to supporters and donors.
- Carry out any other duties assigned to you by Communication and Media Lead and Movement Coordinators.
Qualifications & Attributes
You should have a primary qualification or first degree in social science, political science, international relations, journalism, or any other relevant field. While the usual tertiary qualifications and some demonstrable track record within the broad definition of civil society is desirable, the key attributes for the role include:
- A university degree in the field of communication and media
- A deep personal resonance with the Kilimanjaro Declaration
- An abiding passion for the work of building a non-traditional Pan-African movement of the future
- A demonstrable commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion and their practical application and integration in the work environment
- A commitment to Africans Rising’s mission and core values of promoting peace, dignity, justice and respect for human rights
- Demonstrate interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively, flexibly and effectively in a small, dynamic team as well as a large diverse group
- A track record or professional experience of having worked with any human rights organization or individually at any level
- Excellent oral and written communication in English and at least one other widely used language on the continent, specifically: Arabic or French or Kiswahili or Portuguese
- Brilliant public speaking skills
- Active on social media
- Prepare a cover letter (of no more than 500 words) detailing why you’re the ideal candidate for the role. Kindly add a list of your current social media profiles at the end of this cover.
- Attach a comprehensive CV, including two references.
- Mail the entire application package to: firstname.lastname@example.org . For more information on the role contact AR via email@example.com latest by September 30
We are building a lean, agile and robust movement and accordingly, you have the choice to work virtually from any location in the world; or you’re welcome to join current operational team members in based in Nairobi, Banjul, Dakar, Accra, Arusha or Accra.
The ability to use PowerPoint, set-up calls on Zoom, Microsoft Teams and other conferencing tools as well as manage other communication mediums
The ability to be proactive and have an independent approach to delivering solutions
The ability to multitask effectively
The ability to travel (up to 30% of time), sometimes at short notice
Excellent verbal and written communication skills (particularly proposal writing and delivering presentations/ workshops)
The ability to quickly form constructive relationships and productive project teams
Equal Opportunities Employer
Africans Rising is committed to diversity and equality of opportunity in all aspects of our work both external and internal. We strive to be an inclusive employer and particularly encourage applications from under-represented groups.
Terms and Conditions
Please only apply if you have experience in the key deliverables and you possess the required Qualifications & Attributes.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, if you have not heard from us within three weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
We reserve the right to accept applications until the post is filled.
We reserve the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time or not make an appointment.
Please check your application and make sure you meet all the essential criteria listed above, in addition your application will be stronger if you meet at least some of the desirable criteria.