Africans Rising is a Pan-African movement of people and organisations working for justice, peace and dignity. We are determined to foster an Africa-wide solidarity and unity of purpose of the peoples of Africa to build the future we want, which includes a right to peace, social inclusion and shared prosperity for all Africans and African descendants.
Our movement works to amplify and connect the demands, struggles and opportunities for solidarity on issues of social, economic, environmental and gender justice. We do this with the support of movements, people, civil society organizations, governments, artists, businesses, and anyone who shares our vision, outlined in the Kilimanjaro Declaration, which is one of a decentralised, citizen-owned future that builds support and solidarity for social movements beyond borders.
Monthly salary : $2,000 – $2,500 USD per month
Remote | Home | Virtual
Africans Rising is a nascent movement and as such, we require a minimum one-year commitment period.
Applications close on 7th October 17:00 GMT
Key deliverables ( ToR):
- Support the development of a comprehensive membership engagement strategic plan and guide for movement with an implementation and rolling out plan.
- Assist in the development of a rapid response plan for movement solidarity actions, with a focus on supporting, connecting and amplifying grassroot movements’ and activists’ struggles.
- Work on the development of Africans Rising structures and membership in countries across Africa and Diaspora using both online and offline mechanisms.
- Ensure coordination with members and partners to develop innovative programmes and campaigns around social justice, peace building and promotion of human dignity across Africa and the African Diaspora.
- Support the creation and implementation of capacity development opportunities for AR members, activists and grassroot movements across Africa.
- Ensure the documentation of activists and movement struggles for learning and sharing best practices.
- Work on the establishment of a volunteer support program for engagement at both national and regional levels.
- Supervise and manage staff volunteers under this unit.
- Support the movement fundraising processes and reporting to supporters and donors.
- Carry out any other duty assigned by Collaboration and Engagement Lead and Movement Coordinators.
Qualifications & Attributes
You should have a primary qualification in social science, political science, international relations, journalism, or any other relevant field. While the usual tertiary qualifications and some demonstrable track record within the broad definition of civil society is desirable, the key attributes for the role include:
- Minimum of a degree in the social sciences field or other areas of study
- A deep personal resonance with the Kilimanjaro Declaration
- Strong background organizing social movements, connections with social movements across Africa and experience in management people
- Excellent skills in program development, planning, implementation and reporting
- An abiding passion and energy for the work of building a non-traditional Pan-African movement of the future
- Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to work collaboratively, flexibly and effectively in a small, dynamic team as well as a large diverse group
- A track record and professional experience working in the human rights arena at any level
- Excellent oral and written communication in English and at least one other widely used language on the continent, specifically: Arabic, French, Kiswahili or Portuguese
- A demonstrable commitment to the principles of diversity and inclusion and their practical application and integration in the work environment
- A commitment to Africans Rising’s mission and core values of promoting peace, dignity, justice and respect for human rights.
- Brilliant public speaking skills
- Active social media
Prepare a one-page cover letter detailing why you’re the ideal candidate for the role. Kindly add a list of your current social media profiles at the end of this cover.
Attach a comprehensive CV, including references.
We are building a lean, agile and robust movement and accordingly, you have the choice to work virtually from any location in the world; or you’re welcome to join current operational team members based in Nairobi, Banjul, Dakar, Accra, Arusha or Accra.
The ability to use PowerPoint, set-up calls on Zoom, Microsoft Teams and other conferencing tools as well as manage other communication mediums
The ability to be proactive and have an independent approach to delivering solutions
The ability to multitask effectively
The ability to travel (up to 30% of time), sometimes at short notice
Excellent verbal and written communication skills (particularly proposal writing and delivering presentations/ workshops)
The ability to quickly form constructive relationships and productive project teams.
Equal Opportunities Employer
Africans Rising is committed to diversity and equality of opportunity in all aspects of our work both external and internal. We strive to be an inclusive employer and particularly encourage applications from under-represented groups
Terms and Conditions
Please only apply if you have experience in the key deliverables and you possess the required Qualifications & Attributes.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, if you have not heard from us within three weeks of the closing date, please consider your application unsuccessful.
We reserve the right to accept applications until the post is filled.
We reserve the right to withdraw any of our vacancies at any time or not make an appointment.
Please check your application and make sure you meet all the essential criteria listed above, in addition your application will be stronger if you meet at least some of the desirable criteria.